Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Blogger's pledge

I recently had a friend point out that it has been many moons since I've updated my blog...and she's right. I pretty much let it slide, since this blog was supposed to be about my year in Bolivia, and that is on hold. However, I realize that I am still a blogger, and therefore still obligated to keep my blog current. Therefore, I now make this pledge:

I, Dana, a recognized blogger, pledge to post at least one blog per week, starting today, August 10th, 2006. I will never again allow so much time to pass between postings, so help me God.

I hope all of the faithful who have been checking my blog will forgive my lapse. Again, I thank everyone for their prayers...they are being answered! Daddy is doing so much better...he's recovering his strength and his eyesight is slowly improving. We have a few follow-up appointments, and we're very confident that all the check-ups will be very positive.

As for me, I'm keeping myself busy. It's strange...I kind of feel like I've been on an extended vacation, but not a very enjoyable one. Although Saint Francis is a lovely hospital (if you can describe a hospital with that word), we got pretty tired of its cafeteria food and waiting rooms. Thank God we didn't have to spend too much time there...five days and we were gone.

I'm trying to keep up my exercise regimen, with the help of my mom and brother. Mom and I do Curves every other day, and the other days Matt and I run. I was doing pretty well until my knee decided to give out...hopefully it will be a temporary injury.

I've also discovered a new series of books that I've been devouring voraciously. Have any of you heard of the co-authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? They write adventure/suspense novels...excellent page turners. So far I've managed to put them down occasionally, but it's difficult. I've been taking full advantage of the Tulsa County library system...no offense to Siloam's public library, but Tulsa's is a bit more extensive. It's saved me a fortune in Barnes and Noble purchases.

I must confess that the approach of a new school year leaves me a bit bereft...it's odd to walk by the aisles of school supplies and not look down them, scanning for potential students. I know that my students are waiting for me in Bolivia...hopefully I will get to meet them eventually. With Dad doing so well, that day may be approaching quickly. That thought is kind of bemusing...I don't really know how I feel about starting in the middle of the school year, in a new school, in a new country no less. I hope it's not too overwhelming. I suppose it will require me to lean on God all the harder...something I have trouble doing. I like standing on my own two feet, even when I know I need to be carried. This whole situation with Dad has forced me to let God hold me up though...and for that I'm thankful. It's strange, I feel so much closer to God now than I have for months, even as I was contimplating mission work. I guess there's something about seeing my Dad's mortality that made me bury my head in my Heavenly Father's chest and cling tighter than I ever have before. I guess that's part of the good that God has worked through these circumstances. I've had to release the control (that I never had to begin with) and just let God carry me. How very freeing.

Well, have I redeemed myself yet? Thanks for sticking through this to the end...I know I got kind of rambly. I have also resolved to be more transparent in my postings...to kind of let my feeling spill all over the screen for the whole eworld to see. That's kind of freeing too.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Joy and Mark said...

So glad you're back...
Thanks for the update on your dad. Glad things are going so well.
Come see us sometime!
Joy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home