Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Scarecrows etc.

I didn't know that kinder teachers are required to be scarecrow designers as well. A few weeks ago the Junior class anounced that as a part of the Thanksgiving banquet they wanted each class to design a lifesize scarecrow based on a famous fictional character. Well, obviously this would have been a bit challenging for kindergarteners, which meant it was up to me. We made a list as a class of possible characters, and then decided on Woody from the Toy Story movies (I decided we didn't have the budget for Godzilla or King Kong, and I since I'm not a fairy godmother Cinderella wasn't a possibility either). I figured surely we'd be able to pull the pieces of a cowboy costume together, and I could make his face out of felt or something. All we needed was two sticks to hang him on. I asked Lidia to write out a request for two sticks and a stand for our scarecrow, since our handyman speaks only Spanish. It took forever to finish...in fact two days before the contest it still wasn't done! I was starting to stress out, when it finally arrived in my classroom. Apparently Lidia was a little more specific in her directions, because the finished project was not just two sticks - it was a whole Woody skeleton, with joints, hands and feet, even a carved face!! I was completely blown away...no wonder it took so long to finish! All I had to do was dress him (and make a cow-skinned vest) and he was done! He turned out great, taking third place in the contest. The kids were so proud, and I was completely relieved that my first attempt at making a scarecrow had been such a success, thanks to a handyman who went above and beyond the call of duty!!


Here's Woody! Please note the handmade vest and that "there's a snake in his boot!" (I couldn't get the boot over one of his feet, so decided he should just hold it)

My Spanish teacher seems to think I'm making great progress, which is good since I don't see that I'm making any progress at all! Of course it's one thing to repeat words back, or say repetitive sentences over and over, it's definitely quite different to make up sentences by yourself that make sense and that native speakers can understand. Still, I feel like I'm at least learning the structure of the language. Verb forms are going to kill me...it's bad enough learning to conjugate in just present tense...add in past and future and my head just starts to ache. Still I've only had three lessons. I shouldn't expect a miracle, right?


Here's Monia, my very patient Spanish teacher. She says my pronunciation is very good (If only I knew what the words meant that I'm pronouncing...)


This past Thursday I went with the Kienzle family on a "paseo" (picnic outing) with their church to a park. It was supposed to be a paseo and baptism, but one of the girls who was supposed to be baptised didn't have permission from her mother (a very strict Catholic) and wasn't ready to go against her mother's wishes. They postponed the baptism until February, to give the more time. Again I wish I could have communicated better in Spanish, but the people were very nice. It was fun hanging out with the Kienzle girls, and their new cocker spaniel puppy Honey (only six week, and so adorable!). There was also a foozball table (how do you spell that?) which I took a turn on - that's about as athletic as I get - I wasn't about to join in the football game that was going on in the park!

Rachel, Erica, and Honey in front of the picnic shelter at the park. It was cloudy and cool so we didn't go swimming (there was a public pool there) but we did dip our toes in.

Friday night was the Thanksgiving Banquet, hosted by the Junior class. I'm not sure why it was so early, but we all had a great time. I went with Laura and the Hauses...a SAM missionary family that Laura is great friends with. We had delicious mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, rolls, and turkey...er, I mean chicken (apparently turkey is a little hard to come by down here). Afterwards we watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. It was fun, in a very surreal kind of way. It kind of felt like we were just pretending it was Thanksgiving, kind of like when we did Christmas in July as a theme at camp one year.

I guess that brings this blog up to date. Notice that I actually got the pictures to work! Thanks to everyone who's emailed...it really helps!!

1 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your blogs - they are interesting to read... you are a really good writer/communicator.
i am a friend of kelly langdoc's and was googling to find out about her school, and your blogspot came up. i'm hoping to visit in february... so maybe i'll meet you then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home