Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Campamento (continued...)

Okay, here's the rest of my story (sorry it took so long...both Blogger and our internet connection were having problems).

- The Represa -

Another huge highlight of the trip was our trip to the represa (dam). The pictures kind of speak for themselves...basically it was like being at a waterpark.

Here you can see the water running over the dam. This part was very shallow, so we could walk right up and sit under the water...a very nice massage! =)

I took this from the top of the bridge - the bottom pool is about waist deep with a fairly strong current. Once you step past the white line of water it's only ankle deep, though still strong, but if you're careful you can walk all the way up it to the waterfall.

Here's Laura and me, enjoying the refreshing cascade (we tried not to think about what could be in the water, but were told that there were actually piranhas in the river up past the dam. So I guess I can now say that I've bathed in piranha infested waters!)

- Dramas -

The last night of camp each team was responsible for presenting a drama based on a Bible story that went with their name. My team, Soldados en Christo (soldiers in Christ) presented David and Goliath. The best drama by far was the Parable of the Prodigal Son, produced in full costume, complete with pigs (played by children) for the son to feed. The best part was when the son returned home and the father ordered a feast - they brought out one of the "pigs" on a platter! It was hilarious!

Here's the poor fattened pig, waiting for the feast (she did a great job of staying still, though I think I saw her eyes open a few times).

I think a great time was had by all...I know I enjoyed it so much. Laura's church is very friendly, and they really included me with open arms.

The group from Santa Cruz

Tuesday afternoon we loaded up on the first available flota, which unfortunately didn't leave until 4, and made the long journey back to the city. It wasn't too bad until the last couple hours, when several stops and cranky passengers made the trip seem endless. But we made it without any trouble (other than a few water balloons lobbed through open windows).

And so ended another unforgetable Bolivian experience!

1 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger brian said...

i miss you!!!

please explain bloger to me. i made an account so i can talk to you, but i don't know what i'm doing!!!

can i "subscribe" to your blog or make you a friend? i'm so confused!

email me or write on my blog.

b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home