Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Craziness

I survived my crazy week...just barely. All my evening commitments were really fun, but exhausting! Probably the most tiring was Friday night's Christmas program. Even though Kinder only sang two songs, they had been practicing for weeks in music and in the regular classroom. The rehearsals went really well, and all my students seemed to remember the words and when to play their bells. Until they got up on the stage in front of hundreds of parents and students and forgot everything they'd learned. I think a few of them sang, and even less remembered to play their bells at the right time. One of my students rang his bell so enthusiastically the pre-K child in front of him was in danger of a concussion, and I held my breath through the whole song praying he wouldn't bonk her over the head. My class was up on the first riser, out of reach of the microphone, but pre-K was on the floor and two of their "divas" decided to make their own solos, and sang directly into the microphones. It was, in a word, a disaster. But they looked cute, and no one got hurt. I guess that's all that matters.

Sunday was a highlight too, in a good way. I went with Laura to her church, which was celebrating its anniversary. I helped in one of the kids Sunday school classes, and then stayed after for the lunch. The food was delicious (though as usual the portions were too big for me to even hope to finish) and I had a delightful conversation with three young girls in...yes, Spanish! The conversation consisted mostly of them asking me "si" or "no" questions or how to say Spanish words in English. Still, I was able to communicate and understand most everything they said, which is huge progress! I was so excited...maybe Spanish class in paying off after all!

On the downside, I battled homesickness all this weekend. I think it was brought on by the many Christmas activities I participated in. The Bible study's while elephant gift exchange was a hoot, but it made me wonder who got the camel at my small groups' exchange (did you hang on to it for another year Hills?). It was great watching the SCCLC students put on their program about the true meaning of Christmas, but I caught myself longing to hear "Winter Wonderland" and "Frosty the Snowman." Remember teachers when Aaron played Rudolf and danced his heart out at the fourth grade program? Anyway, I'm not really depressed...after all I get to experience Christmas in Bolivia, and how many people can say that? But...yeah. There's no place like home for Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home