Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bolivar's Revenge

So I thought I'd finished with "system adjustment," and was completely over the usual stomach complaints that plague new arrivals to Bolivia. I was wrong. It might have just been a touch of food poisoning, but Sunday night and all day Monday I was sick as a dog. By Monday night I could finally keep water down at least, but I've had absolutely no energy all week (not good when you're trying to teach kindergarten!) I don't think I'd have made it if I had to stay all day...as it is by noon I'm completely wiped. I hop on the micro for home and go directly to bed for a couple of hours. I've skipped both Spanish class and prayer meeting. All this to say that I know I'm behind on my blogging, but really I have an excellent excuse!!

Anyway, I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know about my health complaints. Despite everything, I've managed to do one or two interesting things this week that I thought I'd share.

In this math lesson we mixed blue and yellow water to make green. Food coloring is not often used here, so the result was something of a sensation. The students were so excited they all wanted to try it, so I repeated the "experiment" five times during center time.

Here are junior scientists Clara, Mauricio, Sofia, and Amara mixing their lime concoction.


Tuesday night I managed to drag myself to a costume party hosted by the Hauses (missionary family) for several of the high school MK girls. I think I pulled off a pretty convincing gypsy, but Laura's Morticia Addams costume took the cake!! (or at least the prize). We played some silly games and had a live auction (with Monopoly money), and feasted on Hallow...I mean Harvest candy brought down from the States (well, most people feasted. I had a couple pretzels and and an M&M).


The costumes were greatly varied in content, and creativity abounded!

from left to right: an army pilot, stewardess, farm girl, Marilyn Monroe, surfer chick, Morticia Addams, gypsy, the ocean (please noticed the attached crabs and starfish), and a waitress.

Thank goodness Thursday is halfway done, and then Friday is here! We get all of next week off for Thanksgiving (I tell you, being a missionary is tough!) and I plan on doing lots of relaxing, and hopefully will be completely well by the time it's over! Laura, Virginia and I are taking all the SAM MK high school girls (all three of them) back with us to Hotel Bugonvillas from Sunday to Tuesday, and we're having the SAM Thanksgiving potluck on Wednesday. I'm not sure what we'll do on Thursday. I won't have regular internet access next week since I won't be at school, so I don't know if I'll get a posting done or not. Anyway, hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving...I know we all have so much to be thankful for!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home