Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Monday, March 05, 2007

creepy crawlers

I realized that I haven't told much about the local wildlife lately. Let me just say that due to the rains (that is, floods) the insect population has exploded. When they say bugs grow bigger in tropical climates they are NOT kidding! Not only are they bigger, but there are about ten times as many kinds of each insect.

I've enjoyed photographing different specimens as I've come upon them, so I thought I'd post a few of the better shots.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those hissing cockroaches they eat on Fear Factor. I've only run into three so far, all in or around my bedroom. This one was perched above our sink in the bathroom. I couldn't (that is wouldn't) get close enough to put my finger in the shot to show you how big it was, but I'd say it was about the length and thickness of a pro-basketball player's thumb.

Here's Lidia, proving that she loves all creatures great and small. This "little" bugger was clattering loudly in the curtains upstairs. It sounded like a cross between a cicada and one of those noisemakers you hear on New Year's Eve.

Andre found this slow mover sliming its way across the front walk. It is - you guessed it, a giant snail. Actually they told me this is really just a little one. They've found some that are the size of a salad plate.

This aerodynamic fellow was perched on one of my window bars when I got to school this morning. Looks like something the Air Force should use to pattern its next stealth fighter after. I think I'll submit it to the Department of Defense.

Lest you think all Bolivia's creatures are creepy, slimy, or strange looking, here's a look at just one of the butterflies I see every day. This one was hanging out on the pillar by the parking lot, and I spotted it right as we were leaving school. Aren't the colors amazing? I think it looks kind of like a stained glass window. Have you ever visited a butterfly garden (like the Butterfly Pavilion in Denver, CO)? Walking outside here is like stepping into a butterfly garden - they're everywhere, all shapes and sizes, and all amazingly beautiful. How could anyone not believe in a Creator after seeing some of His amazing creatures?

3 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,so glad i can now leave comments! in ireland, we call them "creepy crawlys," instead of crawlers. do u get mosquitos too? the butterfly was gorgeous! God's special touch is so visible when u look at its markings!

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was from me, joanne btw, i forgot to put my name! woops!

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the bugs but glad I didn't have to touch them :). Was so good talking with you today. I hope you are feeling better and have fun tonight with the singles.
Love and blessings, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home