Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Free time?

So you know how I've mentioned that I have a student teacher? Well, she just started her first week of full-time teaching, so I thought I'd have some extra time on my hands. I have this whole "to-do" list written up and everything. But I just looked at the clock, and realized that I only have 45 minutes left before it's time to go home! Did I mention that I don't think I've done even one thing on my list yet? Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

Thank you, thank you for your prayers regarding our electrical problems. As of today, our transformer is fixed and the a/c is back on! Praise God! Of course today is kind of cool so we don't really need it so much...but who cares?

Okay, here's a special note to my exercise buddies (you know who you are). Exercising in Bolivia is quite a challenge. The Curves chain hasn't made it here yet, and neither has Gold's Gym or Bally's Total Fitness. There are a few privately owned gyms, but none of them are easy to get to or very...um, nice? Anyway, consequently I have not done any regular exercising since...oh, September? I do a lot of walking, so I guess that's helped some, but it doesn't really get the heart rate up the same way a good run does. Well, Saturday my housemate Dovanna and I decided to go for a walk. Actually Andre wanted Dovanna to run with him, but she wasn't up for that so I volunteered to walk with her while he ran circles around us (literally). We took off around the block. Mind you, these are dirt roads and not smoothest surface ever made. Fortunately we had had a big rainstorm the night before and so it wasn't dusty, just muddy. A couple of laps into it I suggested that we run the next one. Dovanna set the pace, and it wasn't long before I was doing some serious huffing and puffing. Did I mention that Dovanna is 5'1"? Yeah, a little embarrassing I know, but the girl did walk 200 miles of the Appalachian trail last summer. We ran a couple more laps before stopping, and even though I stretched when I was finished I'm still a bit sore today! I hope my running buddies did better this past year than I did keeping up with the workouts!

I know this was a very rambling post, and I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. My plan was to take some of my student teacher in my "free time", but yeah, see above for why that didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow...

3 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana!!! I haven't got to talk to you in such a long time. I have been reading your blog regularly but it still isn't the same as talking in person. Things have been busy here and I am sure you are busy as well. I miss you and will comment again soon. <3Brooke

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dear,
Enjoyed hearing about your "free time". Glad you got your email to work. Enjoy your week.
I have class tonight. It is supposed to be in the 70's today but so far the sun has yet to come out from behind the clouds.
Love and miss you, Mom

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana,
I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Dwayne and I have continued to keep you in our prayers. We haven't seen any bugs here yet! We were able to enjoy the snow today in the mountians though. It has been quite the adventure learning how to snowboard. Love ya! Jenelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home