Dana in Bolivia

My journal about my mission to Bolivia, teaching at a Christian school in Santa Cruz.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rainbow's end

Well, this is it. My last week of teaching. We ended the year with a unit on the colors of the rainbow. As I was thinking about what I would post this week I couldn't help thinking that each one of my students has a color all their own, and that together they've shone so beautifully this year.

When I think back to my first reaction to being asked to teach kinder, (I think my exact words were "there is no way that I am qualified to do that") I am amazed at how much I've enjoyed this year. There were some serious challenges - an unfamiliar curriculum, no experience with the age level, and 75% English second language learners...pretty daunting hurdles to climb! But God is so faithful to keep His promises. I know it is only by His grace that I had the patience and enthusiasm I needed this year. I wish I could tell you in detail about each one of my precious students, but I don't have the time right now (and I don't want to bore you) so I thought I'd just give a little sketch of three of them.


Carlos Andres

When Kelly was first introducing the students to me she told me a little about each one. She described Carlos Andres (no, not just Carlos, but Carlos Andres) as being very bright with an amazing Spanish vocabulary. She said that he understood most of what she said, but refused to talk to her in English. As I interacted with him I noticed the same thing - he would only respond to me in Spanish, even after I told him that I didn't understand. It went pretty much like that for the entire first semester. Finally, at the beginning of second semester, we told the students that they were no longer allowed to use Spanish in the classroom. If they did, there were dire consequences...their clothespin would be moved!! It took two times of moving his clothespin for Carlos Andres to begin using English. By the end of the first week he was using complete sentences, and after a month he was surpassing students who had used English since the beginning of school. His English usage is hilarious...it's scary to hear some of the phrases he uses, because I know he got them directly from me! One of my favorite examples was just a couple days ago. Kelly came into the room to get him for some one-on-one instruction, and he told her "Okay, give me just one second." (I didn't realize how often I said that until I heard him say it...now I realize I use that phrase all the time). Carlos Andres is absolutely precious with so much potential...he already knows he's going to be a scientist when he grows up. I can see him discovering a cure for the common cold.
RaquelRaquel is one of the two kindergarteners whose parents are with SAM. Her dad is our Security Team leader, and her mom keeps busy taking care of her and her two younger sisters, as well as being involved in the Children's Ministry team. Raquel is also extremely bright...she sometimes showed signs of being bored during class (she'd much rather draw elaborate pictures of princesses and flowers than write her letters on her worksheet). Raquel's mom is Bolivian, and her dad is American, so she is one of the fortunate kids to be truly bilingual. In the early days she was always quick to translate another student's question for me. She has also shown some amazing spiritual insight. We were talking at prayer meeting last week, and out of nowhere she said, "God always answers our prayers, but He doesn't talk to us right?" I responded that that was true, though we can read His words in the Bible. She thought for a minute, then said "Sometimes we just have to wait and see what happens to know what His answer is. Like if I wanted a really fancy bike, but I didn't get it, I would know that God was saying 'no' because I don't really need it." Raquel shows me how the faith of a child is so powerful, and why God tells us to be like children. She's already well on her way to becoming her dream...can you guess what it is? Yup...a teacher.

Samuel

Samuel was one of my most challenging students in the beginning. He refused to participate in class, and would often lay down in the middle of the carpet during our morning circle time or math groups. I couldn't tell if he was tired, bored, or just didn't understand what was going on. It took a long time, but slowly he began to pay attention, and even volunteer answers during class. This picture shows how far he's come...last week he chose playdough for his center, and completely on his own he carefully cut out the numerals and used a cookie cutter to make the corresponding group. We had done something similar in math time, but he definitely took it one step further in applying it! I've seen him grow so much this year...in self-control and motivation as well as in knowledge and skill. His dad is a very high banking official, and I think might have some connection to the government as well. Needless to say Samuel will have every opportunity money can buy. He's made a good start...if only he will keep on persevering.

I have stories like this about every one of my students...I can't wait to share them all with you. I am so thankful and humbled that God gave me charge over these kids. Please join me in praying that as they grow and mature, their faith will remain constant and pure...the faith of a child.

4 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Dana, sounds like you've done such a great job with those kids! Congratulations on a wonderful year. Enjoy your last week! =) ~Amber

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dear,
Loved the stories of your kids. They are all special. Know you will have a good graduation time this morning. Look forward to hearing about it all. I am counting the days until your homecoming. Enjoy the rest of your stay there. Talk to you soon.
Love and blessings, Mom

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw those kids see, so precious!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woops, meant seem so precious, not see! teehee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home